Thursday, March 26, 2009

POSt#2

1) Many of the text we've read discuss the idea of status. Think about the communities you belong to - your family, groups of friends, neighborhoods, and/or ethnic communities. What gives someone status in each of these communities or groups? What do you think this suggests about the values of your community? Are they the same as yours? Do you aspire to status in your community - or to something else.

according to what i know from growing up in my family, status is based on the amount of money in your background . high class, middle class, or low class is always the first thing my friends, family, our society look towards. like it or not, financial status is the first thing people judge upon. when i was younger my older female cousins would date different guys and my family would judge on the financial status if they are good enough to support or are willing to satisfy my cousins. growing up and seeing these slight judgements i grew my own opinion to provide for myself. being independent is better than depending on a male to make it through life. most women in my family are very weak and i took that as a strength to do otherwise and do the opposite of what i was told. i would provide for my family just as my mother did when she was able to. she taught me never to depend on anyone else but yourself. status an average female in 2009 is more noticed than the 1990's. people realize now how much women change and can actually be a back bone to a families income.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting post - even in progress. When you read Terkel, think about how the women he interviews think about this question of independence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “I don’t think any change in the world has been more significant than the change in the status of women.... A woman's world was her home, her family, and perhaps a little community service. Today, a woman's world is as broad as the universe.” - Belle S. Spafford

    ReplyDelete