Thursday, April 16, 2009

POST#3

2) Growing up, what did you notice about gender and work? In other words, did the men you grew up around do one kind of work, and the women another? Did you grow up with ideas about what kind of work men and women should do? Has gender shaped your own goals in terms of work?

Growing up my family had the tradional beliefs about the role of men and women in the house. Men were known to do the strenuous jobs of the house and have a high paying job to support most of the household. they would be able to fix anything in the house, have a job containing physical work. when i was younger, my uncle was one of the main men of the house and worked for a truck company for several years. he always came home all dirty and tired from loading and unloading the truck he would drive all day. sometimes we wouldnt see him much during the weekdays. the women of the house mostly had a low paying job with less hours to come home early to cook and clean. my mom and her sister would work at a local office, easy hours and decent pay. they would make sure they are home in time to pick us up from school, then go home and cook.

while the women would stay indoors most of the day i would be outside helping my uncle. my dad passed away at a young age, and my uncle was the closet to a father. i wanted to be just like him and grew up with the same interests. growing up i never want to be the stay at home mom who has to depend on a husband or a family member to help support me. i would rather be happy doing both having my own career greatly successful and taking care of my own..

No comments:

Post a Comment